There's very little of me that doesn't want to get in a car right now and drive down to New Orleans to help in any way I can.

I know it's rather illogical. First, I would have problems getting there because so many of the roads are washed out in the coastal areas. Even if I could get there, I wouldn't know where to begin to help. Obviously, I couldn't help a massive number of people evacuate. I have no means to gather large amounts of supplies to take to them.

But this does not mean I can't help in some way.

The UA Student Recreation Center has served as an evacuee shelter since Monday. Even though I haven't had time to make it out there this week, I am hoping to volunteer there this weekend. I also want to gather some supplies that I know my roommates, friends and I can spare that they need, like towels and blankets and clothes.

If you are reading this, no matter where you are, I want you to know that you can help, too. Donate to the Red Cross fund for victims (www.redcross.org). Volunteer at a local Red Cross shelter. Offer your home for victims to stay in, if you can (I've heard there's a list at www.craigslist.org).

This one's not half a world away, folks. This is in our backyard, and there are things we can do to help.
|
This entry was posted on 3:54 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: