As I think I mentioned in my previous post, we went to Paris for our honeymoon, and it was WONDERFUL! Seriously, it was probably the best honeymoon I could have asked for. We flew out of Atlanta on Sunday, March 22, and after a horrendous (and unnecessary) trip through customs in Amsterdam, we made it into Paris and actually took a really long nap. Oh, yeah, and on our flight from Atlanta to Amsterdam, we got some special treatment from KLM Airlines once they found out it was our honeymoon! This is us drinking champagne on our flight:


We got up that evening and did some walking around near our hotel (Hotel Bastille de Launay), which was near the Bastille. We had dinner at a nearby restaurant, and it was DELICIOUS:

We had cabbage with different types of pork -- a couple of sausages, some really thick bacon and ham. There's also a random potato on there. We also had some pate (I don't know how to do the special character over the e), bread, a kir (a wine drink) and a Bordeaux (red wine).

For dessert, we had the most delicious creme brulee either of us had ever had!

The second day we were there, we were a lot more mobile, so we headed out in search of a market, which we never found. But we did have a pretty decent steak-and-potatoes lunch. I was irritated about not finding the market, so Bobby took charge and decided we'd go see Notre Dame. We figured out which Metro station to stop at thanks to our handy Moleskine Paris Guide and ended up almost right at the doorstep of Notre Dame. We ducked in a little patisserie for some tartlets (Bobby had a chocolate banana tartlet, and mine was white chocolate raspberry -- delicious!), then examined the Hotel de Ville before walking on to the cathedral. Bobby had said he wouldn't mind only looking at the outside, but I told him we had to walk through. He ended up being glad of my insistence. Here are some of my fave pics from inside Notre Dame.


And a few from the outside of Notre Dame (the first one was taken by Bobby):


Yeah, he had to lay down on the ground to get this shot, but it looks awesome!

We were amused by the statue (we think of John the Baptist) holding its own head and the one angel that looks like it's going, "Oh, it's OK, John the Baptist." The other angel looks like, "Stay away from me, headless freak!"

Picture of us taken by a Japanese tourist. He did a great job. Hint: Always look for the touristy guy with the biggest camera. Bonus points if he speaks English.

Shakespeare and Company book store, which is apparently pretty famous (though I'd never heard of it) is just across the river from Notre Dame, so we headed there next. I definitely think this was one of Bobby's favorite places we went, and I really liked it, too. It's an English book store with one floor of books for sale, another floor of reference books and a sort of dorm where writers can come and stay for free while they work.

Top is Bobby outside the store, middle is some of the books on the reference floor, and the last is Bobby sitting in one of the reading areas, looking out the window at the Seine.

We had dinner that night at one of the best restaurants we visited on the trip: Ambassade D'Auvergne. The food was tremendous, the restaurant itself was beautiful and the service was outstanding. Bobby had the world's best mashed potatoes and chocolate mousse (along with some other stuff). We also had a bacon and lentil salad that was very good.

We spent Wednesday at the Louvre and the Eiffel Tower. I'm going to skip the pictures from the Louvre because there are a whole bunch of them, and this is already ridiculously long. Actually, if I were reading this, I'd probably have skimmed through the pictures and already left the site!

So on our way to the Eiffel Tower after our Louvre visit, we strolled along the Seine, stopping to take pictures along the way. We even talked a French woman with a dog into taking our picture in front of the tower.

Then Bobby tried to hug the Eiffel Tower and proceeded to take a great picture from the top:


The rest of our trip included lots more food and a trip to see the Arc de Triomphe and a stroll down the Champs Elysees.
There are so many more details about the trip, but given that it's taken me over a month to get this far, I think I'll just let you enjoy the pictures. You can see more on my Flickr page: http://flickr.com/photos/mistybell.
|
This entry was posted on 6:14 PM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

On 8:27 AM, May 04, 2009 , Katie Lewis said...

So I didn't know you had this blog! Hooray! I LOVE your pics from Paris.... I don't know why I haven't looked through them already... I thought I had. Anyway, do you think maybe I could look through them and buy a couple? I am always looking for photography from around the world.... it's a little collection I have going on.

Love you!
kt